Thursday 14 July 2011

Book review: Stuart: A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters

Stuart : A Life BackwardsStuart : A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Stuart: A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters



When I found out that this was one of the 25 books I had won from Booka I was really excited. I'd seen the film and absolutley loved it thanks to Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy. It hadn't taken me long to love Stuart. When I started the book I felt that same tone. Despite the potentially depressing subject matter I found myself smiling at what Stuart said and I was eager to read the next chapter. Unlike most biographies there was real humour and warmth. Normally I find they are simply the bare facts. The book is obviously more detailed than the film and the friendship between Alexander and Stuart really shines through. Masters does a brilliant job of making chaotic, homeless, violent, druggie Stuart likeable as well as someone you care about and would like to meet. Unfortunately the latter isn't possible. The only reason I gave it four rather than five was because I found the book lagged slightly in the middle before picking up again at the end.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment