Monday 1 August 2011

Book review: The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander MysteryThe Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery by Henning Mankell

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell



I'm a massive fan of the Swedish television series Wallander, so was excited to get my hands on the book that it was based on. Unfortunately I was disappointed. The main character of Kurt Wallander was a cold, almost detached person, nothing like the series, even if the books came first. I also missed the presence of the other characters such as Svartman, Martinsson and Nyberg. Sometimes I felt like the translation was a bit iffy as well, not quite hitting the mark or flowing smoothly. Otherwise it was well written and had 'the pull'. The plot was good, but didn't cover a subject matter I was interested in. However, I will investigate the first Wallander books in hope of a more warm protagonist, surrounded by his team.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment