Wednesday 21 September 2011

Book review: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, SpyTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre

I read this book in preparation for going to see the film when it came out of the cinema and as soon as I started reading it, I was hooked.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was one of the most tense books I have ever read. As it neared towards the climax and the mole was revealed I was reading so fast because I couldn't wait to find out who it was! This book certainly has 'the pull' as well as memorable characters. I love the fact that George Smiley is overweight and wears glasses, not the typical spy of modern novels.
The reason why I only gave it three stars was because for some parts of the book, I had no idea what was going on. It's very complicated and you really need to concentrate. If I was tired, or my mind was focused on other things I would feel it wandering and I would have to reread the page or paragraph. I also guessed who the mole was before the reveal!
Overall, a book everyone should read, simply because it's legendary. But be prepared to concentrate!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment