Friday 18 November 2011

Book review: The Commitments by Roddy Doyle

The CommitmentsThe Commitments by Roddy Doyle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Commitments by Roddy Doyle

First of all, I was not aware that The Commitments was based on a book. It's one of my all time favourite films, I love the characters, the music, the story. So, I was very intrigued to see how Roddy Doyle had written singing.
It's a thin book, but I really loved it. It carries the same charm as the film and you're left smiling throughout. The dialogue is impeccable, and you can tell that some parts of the book have been put directly into the screenplay.
There were a few reasons I didn't give it five stars. The first is that sometimes, I didn't understand fully what everybody said, and who said it. There are no speech marks and the author has written everything in an Irish accent, which is brilliant but sometimes confusing. The only other problem was the singing. If you didn't know the songs, it was hard to follow them. However, I did go and search for them afterwards.
Brilliant book! Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment