Thursday 19 January 2012

Book review: Blackhouse by Peter May

BlackhouseBlackhouse by Peter May
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was recommended to me by my Mum who had read it and loved it. She absolutely adores Scotland and that's why she loved this book so much. I went in with an open mind, I (mostly) trust her judgement. There were parts of this book that I loved. The murder mystery itself was brilliant, victim that you love and hate and a lead character with a great deal of history.
Learning all about Fin McLeod and his childhood is really interesting and is definitely different to your regular murder mystery. Very rarely do you know so much about a main character and his relationship to the victim. In fact, Fin's life story is probably more interesting than the murder mystery.
I did think there were some parts of the story that were a bit bogged down. At one stage Peter May did describe a whole sequence to repairing a computer which was completely unnecessary!
But really, it's the island that Fin is from that gives this book character and intrigue and the soap fan in me loves a scandal. I read until the end partly to find out who the murderer was and partly to find out who was the father of young Fin!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment