Thursday 5 January 2012

Book review: Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd

Ordinary ThunderstormsOrdinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was the most recent book club book, and I went into it with an open mind. It wasn't the normal thing we'd normally read.
For a start, it had the pull. I kept thinking one more chapter until I finally finished it, although the ending was disappointing. I was waiting for there to be a big reveal and a confrontation, but obviously the author is setting up a sequel.
The main think that annoyed me about this book was how unrealistic it all was. I understand that it isn't going to be that truthful, but it was so far out there it was ridiculous. The main character was a bit thick initially. I found myself shouting at him inside my head to stop being so stupid. Who would touch a bloody knife? Why didn't he draw out a load of money at the beginning and then gone into hiding? Anyway, after I got over my frustration, I found it quite enjoyable.
In the end, an alright book, but I won't be in any hurry to read the sequel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment