Tuesday 22 January 2013

Book Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book ThiefThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I wasn't entirely sure if I was going to like this book. From the blurb I could tell that I had never read anything else like it. In fact, I doubt there is another book like it at all.
It's the story of Liesel, who is 'The Book Thief' from when she leaves her home and arrives with her foster parents Hans and Rosa, to living as a teenager through Nazi Germany and the Second World War. It sounds depressing, but despite it's sad moments, it really isn't. It's sweet and funny with a menagerie of interesting characters that she meets through this period of her life, my favourite probably being Rudy Steiner, her best friend and a Jesse Owens wannabe.
The fact that it's narrated by death also makes it interesting. He has a different take on the events in the story. It isn't related to religion in any way either which I think is better. Death isn't God, he's just the caretaker.
The Book Thief really is for book lovers, it takes you on a wondrous tale without really leaving Himmel Street.
This is a book that I will cherish for a long time and I look forward to reading it again and passing it onto others. It made me laugh and it made me cry and it's a book everybody should read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment