Saturday 12 January 2013

Book Review: How To Lose Friends And Alienate People by Toby Young

How to Lose Friends and Alienate PeopleHow to Lose Friends and Alienate People by Toby Young
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book does not do Toby Young any favours. I'd seen the trailer of the film, but other than having a vague idea of what it was about I pretty much went in blind.
First of all, I don't think I am the target audience for this book. I'm that kind of person that Toby Young describes that is interested (not obsessed) with celebrity culture. The bits I found most interesting were the times he was trying to get into parties and the various encounters with celebrities or people of authority. The bits where he droned on about his school days and psychology were lost to me. My brain just seemed to glaze over.
Half of the time, Toby comes across as likeable, you could even sympathise with him, but for a lot of the time he does come across as a twat who gets himself in these ridiculous situations.
One part I did find interesting was the law suit with the famous couple. I would have liked to know more about that. I would have also liked to know what the people mentioned in the book think about what Toby has written.
Two stars for the silly, funny bits, but minus three for his idiocy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment