Saturday 23 March 2013

Book Review: The Walking Dead Vol. 3 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead, Vol. 3: Safety Behind BarsThe Walking Dead, Vol. 3: Safety Behind Bars by Robert Kirkman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm reading these books alongside watching the TV series, so I'm a little bit bias in that respect. So in my head, Andrew Lincoln is Rick Grimes, along side the other actors from the fantastic programme.
I think the issue I have is the tension that is missing from the books. The illustrations are good, the characters interesting, even if there are a few too many for me to keep track of.
The story is genuinely interesting, and I love that the writers focus on the emotions of the characters and how they react to everything happening as well as zombie attacks.
But the ridiculousness of events make me roll my eyes. Everyone appears to be shacked up with the most unlikely people, Rick is willing to let four prisoners just move in without any concern over the safety of his family and last but not least there's a lesbian kiss.
I find that everything just happens too quickly and there's no time to process it. If it was a novel, maybe it would be better.
I also find that characters are less sympathetic. Hershel, who I like in the series, I don't like at all in the book.
So overall, this is a three. I will continue reading in hope that the series gets better but I think I will enjoy the TV series more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment