Thursday 30 May 2013

Book Review: The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

The House of SilkThe House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was recommended to me by the owner of my local bookshop Booka. I'm working my way through the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes very slowly as the book is mahoosive and I can't take it anywhere with me.
The House of Silk is a brilliant, rip-roaring read, full of Victorian urchins, mystery, intrigue and horse and carriage chases.
Anthony Horowitz is a great writer and I had no problem imagining Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. The prologue which explains why the book was only recently published is also a nice added touch.
As always with Holmes, the plot is complicated with twists and turns on every page. The way Horowitz details Watson and Holmes' relationship and how much Watson cares for Holmes is lovely to read as a lover of these stories.
The reader is propelled into Victorian London with all of it's charm and characters and you are gripped from beginning to end trying to work out how everything is linked. I also think Horowitz dealt with a delicate subject matter very well without sounding preachy or going on about the 'message'.
And for me, despite their series being set in modern London I pictured Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as the aforementioned characters. I really hope Horowitz decides to write another Holmes novel as I enjoyed this one immensely.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment