Tuesday 31 December 2013

New Year, New Me?

The ultimate question. If you could be a completely different person tomorrow, who would you be? You can be absolutely anyone, alive, dead, fictional... But once it's done, it's a done deal, you are that person forever. Or you can stay as you.
2013 has been a very strange year for me. I have had some absolutely incredible experiences, taken part in some brilliant events, met new people, tried new things. But some of the worst things have taken place this year. I've lost people I loved, some by choice, others left me and I've had a crisis of confidence in more ways than one.
I have discovered several things about myself this year, my morals and the way I view the world is shifting. I believe I have become more understanding of other peoples' beliefs and my mind is opening to new experiences. I always wished to be more spontaneous and to face my fears and I have definitely accomplished some of these things.
So next year, I am going to continue to be me. I am going to be more confident (which I believe I have already started to do), I am going to dress the way I want, do what I want to do, not follow the crowd. I am going to try new things (I had my first driving lesson today in ages), speak my mind, make myself heard and make a difference. During 2013, at my lowest point I often wondered if I would be missed if I were no longer here. But then one of my residents told me how much I mean to them, how much I made a difference to their life. Mrs Livingstone, the teacher of Pine Class told me how much the children love to see me and how many request to come and read with me. When I was unwell, my choir kids surrounded me with love and hugs despite me protesting due to being contagious. My Nan constantly tells me how stunning I am, even when she can't see me and I look tired and scruffy. Several friends have told me they wish they had my confidence and wish they were as strong as I am. I must be doing something right but how come I can't see it?
So yes, next year I will continue to be the new me. The new me with tattoos and piercings, the new me who challenges what I don't agree with. I am looking forward to more performances at The Attfield and the fantastic summer production with The OD Project. I miss my kids at school (both readers and choir) and it's only been two weeks! I look forward to (hopefully) a holiday with a friend, good times with those I love and fond memories of those who are now gone. This year I have discovered life is too short to waste time on people that don't care. I should spend more time with those who do. I can only continue to grow as a person (hopefully not in height) and I am looking to the future with excitement of all the things yet to happen, not worrying about all the uncertainty. Yes, life is about a journey, but it's also about those who come on the journey with you, not those who want to delay the train.

This post was inspired by...http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/prompt-new-you/

No comments:

Post a Comment