Monday 30 December 2013

The Accidental Idea

Today's prompt was 'brainwaves'. I'm supposed to tell you all about the best idea I've ever had, how it worked out and why it was so amazing. The problem was, I couldn't think of one. I've had some great ideas over the years, either in class, with my friends or moments of genius where it felt like someone had possessed me briefly. But none were 'Eureka!' moments, none really solved a problem (some even caused more problems), and some ideas haven't even began, let alone finished.
So I chose to tell you about my accidental idea. During Christmas 2012 I helped Weston Rhyn Primary School with their nativity play. I love putting on a play and I love working with the class as whole (not just the three boys I see) so I had a great time. As the nativity play drew to a close Mr Hines (the brilliant Head Teacher) thanked me for being involved and giving up my time for free. I then uttered a sentence that would change the next year (and more) or my life. 'Does the school have a choir?' A brief image flashed in my mind of a Glee-like scenario, costumes, performances, big smiles on kids faces. Mr Hines replied with: 'You're welcome to run it if you like!' I felt my cheeks flush, mumbled that I'd think about it and went on home, eighties rock songs playing through my mind, top hats, air guitar! Maybe I could do this! Maybe I could run a school choir! There were several issues. I couldn't read music (at least, not to the standard normally required), I was very shy when it came to performing, I had no teaching experience whatsoever and I saw one child at a time, not 10, or more, as I hoped there might be. But my imagination was taking over, I could see song and dance numbers and young minds I could influence with my love of The Eagles, Disco and 80s Electro-Pop. So I went back to Mr Hines, and said yes.
The first year of choir was not necessarily a success, not in the performing sense. At one point I had a group of 18, all with different opinions, all fighting to be heard. More than that, they didn't want to know any of my suggestions and were only interested in singing Taylor Swift (who I admire for writing her own songs and having the ability to play an instrument, but still) and Adele, an incredible singer but very hard to sing as an ensemble. I tried several options of songs, 'Price Tag' by Jessie J, which sounded great until the solos came up and 'We're Not Going To Take It/We Built This City' by Twisted Sister/Starship which was brilliant in the end, but took a LOT of persuading.
But I persisted. By the Summer of 2013 I was very proud of my group and sad to see the majority of them leave, but knew that in the Autumn I would get a new group of children and a fresh start. This time there were less children, only 8, all girls. I struggled controlling 18 children, so this was much nicer and I already knew 6 of them well, knew their tastes, what they would like to sing. We were invited by St John's Church in Weston Rhyn to sing at their Carol Service. It was a great opportunity for the children to perform in front of an audience, but it was pressured. We only had four weeks to get our songs and performance ready. It wasn't Glee standard, but I was very happy with how it all turned out. We had plenty of positive feedback from the church goers and parents and one particular girl conquered her fear. I am immensely proud of her!
Now that Christmas is over we are moving on to Musicals, and I can't wait to get stuck back in. I can't wait to hear what the kids have been learning over Christmas (I have set them homework on various music legends) and I can't wait to start our new song 'Do-Rae-Mi' from The Sound of Music. Not only are the kids growing and learning every day they are becoming part of a team, working hard to achieve a collective goal and coming out of their shells. It's also helping me become more confident at performing, even if it is just in front of 8 children.
So for an accidental idea, I think it's going really, rather well!

This post was inspired by... http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/daily-prompt-brainwave/

No comments:

Post a Comment