Wednesday 22 January 2014

Book Review: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

The Husband's SecretThe Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Husband's Secret is the first book for the Weston Rhyn Book Club, organised by the lovely Joey McGuinness. We're all female with an eclectic and varied taste in books, but I firmly believe that book clubs are about reading what you normally wouldn't pick for yourself.
This book primarily centres around three women: Cecilia, Tess and Rachel. Cecilia discovers a letter written by her husband John-Paul to be opened on the event of his death, Tess discovers her husband has fallen in love with her cousin, who's like a sister to her and Rachel is struggling to get over the murder of her daughter Janie. Reading this book made me realise why I normally pick male leads as I found all three characters quite unlikeable. Rachel was the least annoying, but Cecilia with her Tupperware parties and how everything had to be 'perfect' drove me up the wall!
It's clear that Liane Moriarty has put a lot of hard work into this book and how each character's life winds into each other. But this isn't a thriller, as it's billed, it's a story about women and the choices that we make in life. I will admit that once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down, but I felt myself cringing or rolling my eyes at several things. Maybe my age and experience with married life put me at a disadvantage but I struggled to sympathise or understand some of their thought processes or choices. I also worked out what was in the contents of the letter, which was a disappointment for me because normally I like to be surprised.
The reason this was a three star rating rather than two was because of the epilogue. The author details Janie's life of what it might have been like and highlights how important and life-changing those small decisions are, which to me is interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment