Wednesday 8 January 2014

Strike A Pose

I love fashion. I love putting together an outfit, right down to the underwear and accessories. I love clothes that are the cutting edge, that are different, that make you stand out from the crowd. I love models, their androgynous looks, the thing that makes them unique and different. And even if it makes me a snob, I love buying designer items. I love designers themselves that aren't afraid to be a little different, even if the clothes they make aren't so practical. I love America's Next Top Model, Tyra Banks and the word 'smise' (smile with your eyes). For years I bought Vogue and read it cover to cover, studying each image and advertisement. Even if the fashion world rejects my size and shape (a six foot, size 22). Don't get me wrong I'm not under the illusion that I could be a model, I don't want to be. I love taking the pictures.
My friend Sian
Last summer my friend was interested in going in to modelling and I offered to take some pictures for her. The pictures turned out great, but at the end she wanted me to be into some pictures. I hated it, she didn't understand that for me, the picture taking was the best bit. I love putting the outfit together, picking the location, putting the outfit together to create the final product, create something fantastic, special and eye catching.
However, this post isn't just about fashion, it's also about style, my personal style. Despite the fact that I don't enjoy my picture being taken I still like getting dressed up and putting the outfit together. Over the years my style adapts and changes. I look at the fashion world and the current trends. Last year's A/W ranges featured a lot of Fair Isle thanks to Danish crime drama The Killing and it's lead Sara Lund. A trend which I embraced with arms wide open.
However, there are some items that are timeless and go with all of my clothes, even my fancy 'posh' stuff. I own six pairs of Converse All Stars in different colours: black, red, blue, yellow, purple and tan (although the last pair I've never never worn). Team a pair of them with a skater skirt (normally black) and a slogan or band t-shirt and that's an outfit sorted. If it's cold I add a pair of leggings to this ensemble. But they're also interchangeable with a dress, shorts or a pair of jeans.
That leads on nicely to my next fashion choice. I love the 50's style of a cinched in waist. Almost all of my skirts and dresses pull in at the waist to focus on the smallest part of my torso. I love the glamour and femininity of the flouncy dresses and skirts. The fact they fall to below the knee makes them flattering too, as long as they don't fall mid-calf. The glasses I wear are also 50's style.
I love most retro clothing (although I tend to veer away from 60's fashion as it simply does not suit my body shape). I own a pair of flares (although not embroidered like the ones on the right), a chunky Hutch-style cardigan and aviator sunglasses. I love shoulder pads and I even own a jumpsuit. Some of the residents at the care home have some fantastic items of clothing, paisley patterns and peplum jackets. I consider it retro, for them they've owned it since the first time it was in fashion.
One of the recent fashion trends which has been resurrected from the 90's (sadly, a fashion trend that I can remember) is grunge. Although I love the girlishness of the 50's, it's not always practical. I wear a uniform to work but volunteering in a school and stage managing means I have to wear flat shoes and clothes that dirt doesn't show up on for most of the time. The tattooed and pierced part of me adores grunge. I love tartan (but that's because I love Scotland) and anything with studs and spikes on is a winner for me. I love the washed out denim look too, and have seriously considered investing in some dungarees or a dungaree style dress.
Overall I think it's fair to say my style depends on my mood, and how girly I want to be. If I'm going out for a meal with girl friends I'll grab my red poppy dress that accentuates my waist and if we're not going somewhere too posh, pair it with red converse. If I'm going to school I'll wear my red Doc Martens with a tartan shift dress and leggings and if I'm stage managing I'll wear a t-shirt and a black skater skirt with a pair of Converse of my choice.
I'm so glad that the fashion world is changing and companies on the High Street and on-line are providing clothes in bigger sizes and 'tall' ranges, so that leggings don't stop just below my knee! New Look and ASOS provide the latest fashions and styles, and I always like to stay on top of them. Although I'm not an idiot, I'll only wear what suits me. I'm glad I skipped the neon faux-fur trend. Somehow I don't think luminous green ski boots are my thing!

This post was influenced by... http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/daily-prompt-style-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment