Thursday 10 April 2014

Book Review: The Blinded Man by Arne Dahl (#1)

The Blinded ManThe Blinded Man by Arne Dahl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was familiar with the TV series of the same name before I picked up The Blinded Man, the first in this collection.
The casting director of the TV series did a top notch job hiring actors that perfectly portrayed Arne Dahl's characters. Of course, the obvious exception is the leader of the A-Team, who is turned from a man in the novel, to a female on screen. Despite their flaws, they're all thoroughly likeable and their individual stories and quirks display their humanity. It's also interesting to see how each of them develop relationships with each other.
The case itself is nicknamed 'The Power Murders' by newspapers and media. Over a short period of time, three men who are high in society and wealthy are killed, execution style. Paul Hjelm is our main character and we follow him on his many leads as the case twists and turns to it's eventual conclusion.
Dahl not only writes characters well, but he knows how to wrack up the tension and excitement. As the authorities close in on their suspect, I literally felt on the edge of my seat (or more appropriately, my bed, which is where I mostly read).
My only complaint is the title. In Nordic circles it's known as 'Misterioso' which makes sense as there is piece of music by the same name linked directly to the murders. I feel like The Blinded Man was a quick afterthought.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment