Wednesday 23 April 2014

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My friend Helen nagged and nagged and nagged me to read this book. 'You must read it', she said, 'you will love it and you will cry'.
I must admit, I read the blurb and cringed. This wasn't my kind of book at all. I read books to take me away from all the crap in my life, I don't pick depressing reads.
From the moment I started reading I knew I would love this book. The character of Hazel Grace Lancaster is brilliant. I'd never read a story from the point of view of someone with cancer. Her attitude to her sickness was interesting to read. I never pitied her, and I think that was important, Hazel Grace would not want to be pitied. I thought she was funny and a refreshing female lead.
Then in walks Augustus Waters, one of the most amazing romantic leads I've ever read. Like Hazel I fell in love with him as I read each page, found out more about him. He also has a wicked sense of humour and this insatiable love of life, adventure and spontaneity.
I must really give great praise to John Green. He writes characters that can be easily related, realistic characters that take you on this incredible journey, through laughter and tears. After only one chapter I looked up the author and plan to read much more of his work.
I don't really want to give away what happens, because reading it and finding each surprise was part of the enjoyment, all I can say is READ THIS BOOK! You won't regret it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment