Tuesday 20 May 2014

Sing When You're Winning

Me and Choir rehearsing at the church.
I have been running Weston Rhyn School Choir since January 2013. Ever since we started we have been going from strength to strength. This school year, ten girls turned up at the school hall for my first choir lesson. Already I knew we had something special. I had a close knit group that supported each other and cared for each other. Their voices blended well together when they sang, and there was this display of comradeship that I didn't have the previous academic year.
In December 2013 we were asked to perform for St John's Carol Service. There was some upset and nerves, but what really amazed and inspired me was their kindness towards each other. They held each others hand, they all rallied around each other.
Just before the Easter Holidays we performed to parents, to raise money for a minibus for a backstage trip to Theatre Severn in Shrewsbury. All we needed was £40, we raised a staggering £113! As ever I am continuously thankful to the wonderful parents and extended family for their support and encouragement. Whenever help is needed they are always at hand and nothing is too much trouble.
With our Easter performance came some more good news. We were to perform at Weston Rhyn Music and Arts Festival with several other choirs to raise money for the Charlotte Hartey Foundation. I was to don my Maria Von Trapp hat and perform Do-Re-Mi, while I asked one of the older members to sing a solo. Admittedly, there were nerves (mostly mine), but I had no doubt that they could perform to the standard required. Even singing alongside Llangollen Male Voice Choir and Folk/Rock band Not Completely Blonde.
The rehearsal came along, and we performed well, getting used to the acoustics in the large church, getting used to standing on the stage. Then along came the evening performance. At first came exclamations of 'I can't believe so-and-so's here!', 'I can't do it, I'm too nervous', 'When are we going to perform?'
We were given the chance to start the second half, and as we broke for the interval I could feel my nerves creeping in. I kept smiling, encouraged the children to get a drink, relax, chat to the other singers, maybe they could learn something. Then it was our turn to perform.
Me and Choir performing on the night.
I started at the very beginning, which is, according to Julie Andrews, a very good place to start and we sang with a smile and to perfection. We were met with riotous applause and whoops, and I'm not exaggerating. The audience loved us. Then we all departed the stage to let the soloist perform. Again, she was met with applause and support. Lots of other singers came along to congratulate her after she'd sat down. What a fantastic night, with so many fantastic performers and I am proud to include my choir within that.
At the end of the evening I was glowing as several audience members came to tell me how brilliant the choir were. It's lovely to hear their praise and encouragement.
I had choir today, and we've moved on to other projects. But as they sing together, so their love and support for one another I feel that proud glow return. I am truly lucky to be working with such brilliant children and I remind them of that fact as often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment