Monday 16 June 2014

Book Review: Murder at the Laurels by Lesley Cookman (Libby Sarjeant #2)

Murder at the LaurelsMurder at the Laurels by Lesley Cookman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I want to get into the 'twee murder mystery' frame of mind I always pick up Lesley Cookman. Her characters are likeable and funny, but also verging on caricature.
The plot for Murder at the Laurels is very traditional. Libby's friend Fran has an estranged aunt via marriage, who promptly cops it, leaving a small number of suspects. Aunt Eleanor lives in a care home, and immediately the owner of the home and two nurses are considered 'in on it'.
Having worked in a care home I was concerned at how care assistants would be portrayed. We don't have a good 'rap' in the media but I was pleasantly surprised by Cookman characters.
I was easily drawn in to the story, and I felt for the characters. Also, I didn't work out who the murderer was. Suspicion changed from person to person as the story progressed.
The reason that I only gave this three stars is because I missed the theatrical side of the story. The last novel was set heavily in the local theatre and I enjoyed that because of my own experiences at amateur theatre. However, it looks like the next one will take place at a pantomime, so I look forward to reading more of this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment