Sunday 8 June 2014

School of Rock...10 years on!




While browsing for choir material for September (yes, I am trying to be THAT organised) I suddenly had a brainwave. When I was in secondary school, my friends and I had varying levels of musical talent. From what I remember Stu played keyboards, Dan played guitar, Hannah was an excellent drummer and the Jess' were bass and guitar respectively. Singing was my only claim to UCTC fame, and organising, I was generally good at that. One of our collective ideas was to perform at the end of the school year (something that didn't happen incidentally), a selection of school related songs. The setlist was: Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus, What I Go To School For by Busted and School of Rock from the movie of the same name.

I had last done 'rock' as a choir subject in the 2012/2013 academic year, and seeing as any children that were in choir then, were leaving this summer, I had a brand new selection of minds to mould and introduce to Queen, Bon Jovi and Journey.

The School of Rock song popped back into my head easily enough. With a few clicks I was watching the original video on YouTube. My brain instantly adapted the song for choir. I could see the kids really 'rocking out'. With our recent fund raising event we could even splash out on some inflatable guitars and top hats.

Then with a few more clicks I found this, and felt about 100. This is a reunion video of Jack Black and the kids from School of Rock, a ten year reunion video. The 'kids' are now my age, if not a little older, they've barely changed. and they still make fantastic music together. So enjoy this little trip down memory lane and look out for a performance coming to you local primary school!

No comments:

Post a Comment