Thursday 31 July 2014

Handy Andy

New day, new prompt. Today, The Daily Post questions my love of handmade items, when nearly everything is available to buy ready made why do we bother buying handmade stuff? Because handmade equals heart.
My favourite little shop in Oswestry is Booka, because it's unique, different and because it sells gorgeous handmade cakes. Yes, it may be a little rough around the edges but it tastes delicious and comes with service with a smile.
I love giving handmade gifts too. I'm not sure if taking photographs counts (because it does involve button pressing), but for my friend's birthday I gave her one of my popular Scrabble Art pieces. Scrabble Art is where I put together a person's name and their qualities or family members and take a picture. I suppose I am still making the gift as I sit there with my Scrabble box counting letters and hunting to find the elusive Q. I also gave her a box of home-made brownies.
My step-dad bakes the most wonderful bread and my Mum spends hours in the garden growing our own fruit and vegetables. We also have our own chickens so have a steady supply of eggs. Although not all of these are handmade, they all have a sense of doing something for our ourselves rather than buying ready made.
Following this tradition I also really enjoy writing my hand. Although I love having this blog and keeping it up to date, when I first have a spark of creative energy I get out a pen (or even a pencil) and some paper and feel the words flowing through my fingertips.
What I'd really like to do is have a go at making my own clothes. I have a bucket list and on that is 'to make my own dress'. To be able to take a basic design and a fabric I like and make something that I can wear and enjoy would be brilliant.
Handmade and home-made is definitely for the win and I would always pick it over something inscribed with 'Made in China'.

No comments:

Post a Comment