Sunday 10 August 2014

Book Review: State of Fear by Michael Crichton

State of FearState of Fear by Michael Crichton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have always been a massive fan of Michael Crichton ever since I watched Jurassic Park as a kid. I adore the medical drama series ER, and consume his books in a matter of days.
So, looking for something in the 'action-adventure' vein I picked up State of Fear.
It took an age to actually get going. There were bits of action here and there but most of it was related to global warming, and whether or not this is a real problem in our modern age or we're blowing it out of proportion. Don't get me wrong, part of me loves that Crichton goes into such depth, and doesn't 'dumb it down' for his audience, but when he was referencing genuine scientific journals I got a bit... fed up. I didn't pick this up to be lectured, I picked this up because I wanted a thrill ride.
The actual 'action-adventure' stuff is great. Characters get stuck in the snow, there are lighting storms and all kinds of dangerous weather to contend with. The author really knows how to build tension and keep it going.
The characters are also well thought out and developed. I really liked Evans, a lawyer, who seemed like he'd got all caught up in this accidentally.
So overall, an interesting, pulse pounding piece, but would have been much improved, by more action and less debate.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment