Saturday 23 August 2014

The Long Run

(Today's Daily Post asks us to call inspiration from the first line of the last song we listened to. I couldn't remember what that was so I hit shuffle on my phone...)

I used to hurry a lot, I used to worry a lot, I used to stay out til the break of day.

Music is such an important part of life. It can bring back a memory in a flash, it can make you smile, make you dance, make you want to sing your heart out.
For me, The Eagles, and this song remind me of a time when I attempted to write a novel based on their hits. I listened to their Greatest Hits album on repeat, despite it being released long before I was born, and I would create characters out of the lyrics, see the stories unfold, see the car speeding past as 'the lights are turning red', envision the 'girl, my lord, in a flat-bed Ford.'
In my bed, the characters sung their songs and all their stories weaved together. It was epic, very complicated and involved several mind maps and lots of scribbling.
Unfortunately it never really got under way, although I still keep the notebook full of ideas and every time I hear a song by the fantastic band I see my characters. This particular line was sung by a teenage werewolf called Tam who had fallen in love with a very married witch.
As for me, I still hurry quite a bit, I worry a hell of a lot, and I've never stayed out til the break of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment