Monday 5 January 2015

Book Review: Agatha Raisin and the Blood of an Englishman (#25) by M.C. Beaton

Agatha Raisin and the Blood of an Englishman (Agatha Raisin, #25)Agatha Raisin and the Blood of an Englishman by M.C. Beaton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's amazing how after twenty five novels and a fair few short stories, Agatha Raisin is still going strong. M.C. Beaton is like your favourite pair of jeans. As you put them on you feel the comfort and reassurance. Then, you find a surprise fiver in the pocket.
Agatha Raisin and the Blood of an Englishman is based in a local amateur theatre. Agatha and Mrs Bloxby are enduring the pantomime ogre, when he disappears through the trap door and is impaled on a spike. My initial feeling was jealousy of the theatre having a trap door. The Attfield, sadly, lacks one. But I was soon caught up in all the eccentric characters that Beaton describes so well. Being involved in amateur theatre, I can vouch that this was a very true to life interpretation of Am-Dram.
Agatha seems just as much focused on her love life as she is on the case. But I tore through this book at break neck speed, intrigued by every suspect and every twist and turn. I didn't guess who the murderer was, which is an extra ten points for me, and I enjoyed the ride. Also, the extra Christmas story at the end was a pleasant surprise. I always enjoy any books from the Agatha Raisin series, but I must add that whoever cast Ashley Jensen as Agatha should be locked into a room with the books and not released until they've read them all again!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment