Monday 23 February 2015

Book Review: Love On The Rocks by Veronica Henry

Love On The RocksLove On The Rocks by Veronica Henry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ever since I discovered Veronica Henry I have been a big fan of her works. She creates stories that aren't overtly feminine with characters and plot lines that are strong and familiar. Of all her books I didn't particularly enjoy A Night On The Orient Express but with this one I felt on much safer ground. There are a variety of characters with different backgrounds and abilities, some you love and some you love to hate. Of all of them I really warmed to Lisa. She was down to earth, a sympathetic main character. Whereas George and Victoria less so. But I didn't think you were supposed to like them, they were steal very real. Some characters, like George's friend, I found a bit superfluous.
The interweaving stories were much better and varied, ranging from how to deal with a death in the family to starting up a business and Henry switched between the different stories enough to keep in interesting but not so much that it became irritating.
The setting of Mariscombe I also found to be pleasant and charming, a place I could easily picture, made up from different parts of the British seaside that I visited during family holidays.
As always Love On The Rocks was a great read, I equal her books to getting into a bed made with fresh bed sheets and look forward to reading her next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment