Saturday 7 February 2015

Book Review: Poppet by Mo Hayder (Jack Caffery #6)

Poppet (Jack Caffery, #6)Poppet by Mo Hayder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have always been a fan of Mo Hayder's books, especially the Jack Caffery series. As an author, she does a fantastic job of transporting you into her world. Whilst reading, you are lost amongst the pages, turning them at a frantic pace, awaiting every twist and turn. I once described a book of hers as feeling like you were underwater you were so engrossed in the story, and closing the book was like a breath of air. The same applies to Poppet.
I love the character of Jack Caffery, although I always picture him looking somewhat like Paul Bettany despite the fact that he has dark hair. This book followed three characters, Flea Marley, a thirty year old diver, Jack and AJ LeGrande, who is a nurse at Beechway High Security Unit. AJ is likeable, but human, and he's a character easy to sympathise with and relate to.
The story itself focuses on the deaths of patients at the unit, and 'The Maude', a dwarf ghost who supposedly sits on the chests of her victims. The patients are terrified of her, but so are the staff.
Jack and Flea's storyline also follows the case of Mitsy Kitson, which was featured in the book 'Skin'. I didn't remember all of the details but Hayder helps you along, so for those who haven't read that novel, it isn't a complete drop in the ocean.
Unfortunately, the prevention of this getting five stars is the fact that I managed to work out who the murderer was before the end of the book. I hate that. I really like being surprised and in most cases I am.
Overall, this is a great novel, which is just what I expect from Mo Hayder. Great characters, great ideas, great location and totally gives you chills!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment