Monday 30 March 2015

Book Review: From A Buick 8 by Stephen King

From a Buick 8From a Buick 8 by Stephen King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have always been a massive fan of Stephen King but I had read many negative reviews about From a Buick 8. It seems to be a Marmite of a book, people either love it or hate it. The concept intrigued me, but it took me a while to get into it. While reading this I was on placement at a primary school, had lots of friends' birthdays and house sitting a menagerie of animals, so I think tiredness overcame my interest in the book. If I was lucky, I read a chapter a night.
Eventually once I got started I couldn't wait to read every page. I wanted to know what would come through next and how the police force would react to it.
One thing Stephen King does exceptionally is write characters. The whole team seem to come to life right off the page, from the naive Ned to the eccentric caretaker. Everybody's voice was clear in my head and distinctive.
I can understand the point that many people make, which is that nothing happens in this book. And to a degree that's true. But this book just demonstrates that it's the story that counts, the reader is on a journey with these characters, feeling their emotions, their sufferings, their joy. I was quite happy with the ending, there was a little twist and some kind of conclusion although everything wasn't wrapped up in a neat bow. I have become used to King's elusive endings.
What I think this book is really about, is grief. Ned needs the members of Troop D to tell him about everything that happened and his Dad's obsession in order for him to move on and put the past behind him.
As always, Stephen King didn't let me down and I will always read anything he writes. I already have a long list. I would also really enjoy this as a film. But I can't see anything on the horizon.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment