Saturday 9 April 2016

Book Review: A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman

A Year of Marvellous WaysA Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sarah Winman is one of my favourite authors and I absolutely adored her first novel, so I waited to purchase this with anticipation. Unfortunately it was not as I expected.
Firstly, this novel is beautifully written. The writing is poetic and the characters jump off the page. The author's attention to detail is brilliant. I really liked the character of Francis Drake and the events that happened in his life were the most interesting for me.
But in some ways, it's good points are what made it so boring for me. The author uses ten words when one would do. The descriptions are far too flowery and distract from the story, although what the story is I couldn't tell you because NOTHING HAPPENED!!! It was just lots of flouncy vocabulary and tragic events that really amounted to nothing. I'm giving this three stars because I really like Winman and I hope the next novel she produces has the warmth and humour of her first.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment